Inyo County Home
Press Releases

Clerk Services

Fictitious Business Names

Marriage License Information

Environmental Documents

Recorder Services

Birth Certificate

Death Certificate

Marriage Certificate

Preliminary Change of Ownership Report

Fee Schedule


Voter Registration

Poll Workers

Vote by Mail Voters

Vote by Mail Application

Election Results

Important Election and Voter Information

Voter Registration

Who May Register to Vote

You may register to vote if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are a United States citizen
  • You are a resident of California
  • You are at least 18 years of age (or will be by the date of the next election)
  • You are not in prison or on parole for conviction of a felony
  • You have not been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent to register and vote

How to Register to Vote

  1. Fill out a Voter Registration Form.
  2. You may obtain a voter registration card by calling the Clerk’s Office in Independence at 760-878-0224 or from any of the following locations:

    • Clerk’s Office in the Court house in Independence
    • Your local DMV office
    • Your local post office
    • The Inyo County office located at 207 W. South Street, Bishop CA 93514
    • Your Public Library
    • Your local Social Services Office

    Complete your voter registration card, sign it and mail it to:

    Inyo County Clerk
    Kammi Foote
    P.O. Drawer F
    Independence, CA 93526

    The postage should be pre-paid for you.


    You can register to vote on-line on the California Secretary of State website by clicking on the following link:

    Secretary of State - Register to Vote

    Frequently Asked Questions About Registering To Vote

  3. Overseas Voter Registration and Absentee Voting
  4. California Secretary of State - Military and Overseas Voter Information

    If you are a US citizen and are going to be overseas or if you are in the military and wish to vote absentee, there are special provisions for you to register and receive an overseas absentee ballot. To do this you may need to complete a "Federal Post Card Registration and Absentee Ballot Request," and mail it to your local our office. You can download the appropriate application below:

Overseas Absentee Ballot
(Federal Post Card and Absentee Ballot Request,)
click here

When to Re-Register to Vote

You will need to re-register to vote when:

  • You move
  • You change your name
  • You change your political party affiliation

The Deadline to Register to Vote

In California, the deadline to register to vote for an election is 15 days before each local and statewide election day, so please register early!

For more information regarding registering to vote please visit the Secretary of State’s Website: http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm

Who Has Access to My Voter Registration Information?

"Information on your voter registration affidavit will be used by
elections officials to send you official information on the voting
process, such as the location of your polling place and the issues
and candidates that will appear on the ballot. Commercial use of
voter registration information is prohibited by law and is a
misdemeanor. Voter information may be provided to a candidate for
office, a ballot measure committee, or other persons for election,
scholarly, journalistic, political, or governmental purposes, as
determined by the Secretary of State. Driver's license and social
security numbers, or your signature as shown on your voter
registration card, cannot be released for these purposes. If you have
any questions about the use of voter information or wish to report
suspected misuse of such information, please call the Secretary of
State's Voter Protection and Assistance Hotline."

"Certain voters facing life-threatening situations may qualify for
confidential voter status. For more information, please contact the
Secretary of State's Safe At Home program or visit the Secretary of
State's Web site." (E.C. 2157.2)