spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Contact Us
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Fee Schedule
spacer spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Food Safety
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Hazardous Materials
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Solid Waste
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Drinking Water
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Residential Septic Systems
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Recreational Water
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Vector Control
spacer spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Body Art
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Water Lab
spacer spacer spacer spacer
      Emergency Response
spacer spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer spacer spacer
Inyo County Hazardous Materials Program

Inyo County CUPA programs include:

  • Hazardous Materials Business/ Emergency Contingency Plans
  • Underground Storage of Hazardous Materials (UST’s)
  • Aboveground Storage Tanks (AST/SPCC)
  • Hazardous Waste
  • California Accidental Release Program (CalArp)

Who must submit a business plan?

Any business that uses, generates, processes, produces, treats, stores, emits, or discharges a hazardous material in quantities at or exceeding 55 gallons, 500 pounds, or 200 cubic feet (compressed gas) at any one time in the course of a year and any business that generates hazardous waste or handles extremely hazardous materials or class one explosives. Farms and ranches are excluded from this requirement as they are regulated separately by the Inyo County Agricultural Commissioner.

All plans are required to be submitted electronically on the California Electronic Reporting Site. Emergency responders have access to this information. The public may have access to the non-confidential information by contacting our office.

Businesses should file their plans at https://cers.calepa.ca.gov/cers




 Underground Storage Tanks

In Inyo County underground storage tank (UST) systems are used for petroleum products. ICDEHS regulates the construction, operation, repair and removal of these systems. State regulations mandate testing and frequent inspections of UST facilities requiring close coordination between inspector, contractors and the regulated community.


UST facilities must file on CERS:

  • UST Facility, will need to be redone if a new owner or tanks are added
  • UST Tank Forms, will need to be redone if a new owner or tanks are added
  • Response Plan, redone if there are changes
  • Monitoring Plan, redone if there are changes

Required to be done annually:

  • Financial Responsibility (Financial Mechanism and CFO Letter)
  • Designated Operator Form will need to be redone any time a certificate has expired
    (check at least annually)

Links to forms:

Financial Responsibility

 Aboveground Storage Tanks

The Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act (AB1130) became effective on January 1, 2008. This bill transferred the administration of this program from the State Water Resources Control Board and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards to the CUPA’s. Aboveground storage tanks facilities with a capacity of 1320 gallons or more are required to have a Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan (SPCC). This plan shows how spills will be prevented and controlled.


There are a number of fire code requirements for aboveground storage tanks. These are enforced by the fire agency having jurisdiction.

 Hazardous Waste Handling

There are a number of regulations regarding the handling of hazardous waste. The main hazardous waste in Inyo County is waste motor oil. Generators of hazardous waste are required to:

  • Have a CalEPA ID number. To obtain a number call 1 800 618 6942.
  • Keep their waste containers on an impermeable compatible material.
  • Keep their waste containers closed except when filling.
  • Label containers for contents and accumulation start date.
  • Keep receipts or copies of manifests on file.
  • Dispose of wastes properly within certain time limits. Link to accumulation time limits: http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/upload/FS_OAD_Accumulation.pdf

Facilities that recycle hazardous wastes are further regulated. Facilities that generate very small quantities (less than 27 gallons per month and never having more than 27 gallons on hand) may be exempted once a business plan is filed.


The California Accidental Release Prevention (CalARP) Program was implemented to prevent the accidental release of regulated substances. Businesses with large quantities of certain hazardous materials must anticipate and plan for worst-case scenarios. They must adequately plan how they will protect surrounding communities and environments through Risk Management Plans. Currently, there is one CalARP facility in Inyo County, the CR Briggs Mine.


Hazardous Materials Area Plan

The CUPA is responsible for establishing and maintaining the Hazardous Materials Area Plan. This plan serves the County of Inyo Environmental Health Services Department as a planning guide in the event of a release or threatened release of hazardous materials, provides a planning tool for other agencies and businesses, and allows the community the right to know about chemical hazards in their community and how Inyo County plans for such emergencies.

Inyo County Environmental Health Department
Inyo County Annex, 168 N. Edwards St., P.O. Box 427, Independence, CA 93526
phone: (760) 878-0264; 878-0238         fax: (760) 878-0239      email: mmoskowitz@inyocounty.us


Copyright 2012 © Inyo County

Website designed by Troy Creative