Public Comment Open for Independence and 40 Acres Community Wildfire Protection Plans
February 27 through March 27, the Fire Safe Councils of 40 Acres and Independence are asking the public to review and comment on their communities’ draft Community Wildfire Protection Plans (CWPP).
Where can I find the CWPPs?
- View online Independence CWPP.pdf.
- Hard copies will be available at the Independence library, Eastern California Museum, Independence Fire Station, and Independence Post Office.
- An open house in Independence will also be held on Tuesday, March 7, 2023, from 5 to 7 pm at the Owens Valley School Multi-Purpose Room to gather community input.
40 Acres CWPP:
- View online 40 Acres CWPP.pdf.
- An open house in 40 Acres will be held at Kay Odgen's home on March 4, 2023 from 1 to 3 pm.
- A virtual open house will be held on March 8, 2023 from 6 to 7:30 pm.
Instructions for submitting comments:
Include the document title, Chapter or Appendix number/letter, page number, and line number. Please email comments to Montiel Ayala, the Assistant Project Manager at (firstname.lastname@example.org). An example is illustrated below.
- Document title: Independence CWPP
- Chapter 3
- Page 30
- Line 6
- Comment: I would like to include Pine Creek under the natural values at risk.
What is a CWPP?
These CWPPs will allow 40 Acres and the greater Independence area to plan and prioritize projects that can make a difference in protecting homes, residents, and responding firefighters in the event of a wildfire. These CWPPs consist of a description of the wildland urban interface (WUI) and the fire environment, a risk-hazard assessment and analysis, mitigation strategies, and project tracking and monitoring strategies.
These projects were overseen by the Independence and 40 Acres Fire Safe Councils in partnership with the Whitebark Institute. Funding for this project was provided by a grant from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection as part of the California Climate Investments Program, through the California Fire Safe Council.
For more information, contact:
- Independence Fire Safe Council Board Members, Tamara Cohn at email@example.com or Bill Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 40 Acres Fire Safe Council Board Member, Kay Ogden at email@example.com.