Inyo County is a wonderful place to live and do business. However, like the rest of California, Inyo suffers from a lack of housing options relative to growing demand. The lack of housing makes renting and homeownership expensive, makes it difficult to recruit and retain employees, and generally depresses economic development.
The cost of housing has risen sharply over the past several years due to the rising cost of building materials, supplies, and labor, the use of existing housing stock as second-home and vacation residences throughout the county, and the limited availability of private land for residential development. Working with partners, Inyo County has gathered the following resources to support residents to stabilize and expand housing options. We continue to work with partners to develop additional housing options and resources. Check back soon for new programs!
Housing Resources for Inyo County residents
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) – Administered by Inyo-Mono Advocates for Community Action (IMACA)
LIHEAP helps cover the cost of electricity, wood, oil, or propane for heating or cooling. If you think you may receive a shut-off notice or already got one, don’t wait to apply! LIHEAP can also help with emergency heating and cooling repairs.
Learn More - Energy Bill Assistance - IMACA
Apply Today - LIHEAP Utility Assistance Application Form - 2022 - IMACA
- Low Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) – Administered by Inyo-Mono Advocates for Community Action (IMACA)
LIHWAP helps cover the cost of past-due water or wastewater bills. It’s a one-time payment. Please stop by the IMACA offices at 180 Clarke Street to apply. Open 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday, closed 12-1pm.
- Bishop – Willow Plaza Apartments, 324 Willow Street
- Lone Pine – Mount Whitney Apartments, 375 N. Mt. Whitney Drive
- Bishop – Valley Apartments, Senior Housing
Market Rate Rentals
- Bishop Real Estate maintains a Community Rental List of market-rate rental properties in the central Eastern Sierra, from June Lake to Lone Pine. You can download the updated list here: Community Rental List - Bishop Rental
Housing Choice Voucher Program (Formerly Section 8)
The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a partnership between private landlords and low-income families and in Inyo County is administered by the Stanislaus Regional Housing Authority. The application can be found here: https://form.jotform.com/201954730336151
The County of Inyo continues to develop programs in support of housing development and stabilization. Check back soon for additional resources!