Recorded Documents

The County Recorder manages and protects public records including records related to land ownership and records of birth, death and marriage. 

Land Records

The Inyo County Recorder has maintained copies of all recorded land transaction since the county was formed in 1866. The County Recorder is responsible to preserve this information permanently.

What documents can be recorded?

There are very specific legal requirements to record documents in the State of California. Generally, any document signed by a person or persons transferring the ownership of land or creating a debt or duty in property can be recorded as long as it is in the proper format. The recorder's office cannot give legal advice on how to complete a form but we can assist you with your questions on whether or not a document may be recorded.

What is the cost to record a document?

Documents that transfer title have additional recording fees and requirements. Any document that transfers title must have a Preliminary Change of Ownership attached or there is an additional $20.00 penalty fee due at the time of recording. In addition, if the property is being transferred for money or other consideration, a transfer tax of $0.55 per every five hundred dollars, also due. If you are not sure if a transfer tax is owed, please review the Inyo County Transfer Tax Guideline. If an exemption of Transfer Tax is claimed for consideration, additional documentation may be required from the Recorder’s Office before the document will be recorded, especially if no PCOR is provided along with a document claiming exemption.

Recording Fees

For a complete list of recording fees please view our fee schedule page.

NOTICE OF RECORDING FEE INCREASE: Please note that beginning April 28, 2023, the Regular Recording Fee for First Page increased by $1, changing from $13 to $14 fee to record the first page of each document.

SB2 Building Homes & Jobs Act FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Senate Bill 2 (SB2) Building Homes and Jobs Act $75 Recording Fee

How do I find or request a copy of a document?

Self Service Web - Official Records Search

Official Records from 1982 to Current are available on our Self Service Website. These records can be searched at no cost, and purchased & downloaded through the online Self Service site. 

After locating the document(s) you would like a copy of, copies may be added to your shopping cart. After checking out your cart you may print and/or download the documents you purchased.

Fees: $1.00 per page for copies; Credit card processing fees: 3.25% with a $2.00 minimum will also be applied.

Please note, for Official Records prior to 1982, you must contact our office to schedule in-house research. You may also request our staff to perform in-house research for you. For requests of less than 15 minutes there is no charge. For requests requiring 15 minutes or more, there is a service charge of $54 per hour, charged at 15 minute increments. 

How do I find a copy of a Recorded Map?  

You can view Recorded Maps using Assessor's Parcel Numbers for no cost.

How can I find out where a plot of land is located?

You may search our GIS database using an address or Assessor's parcel number.


Affidavit of Assessment Work

Notice of Intent to Hold

Preliminary Change of Ownership Report

Inyo Clerk-Recorder Self-Service Web portal

Click the below link for Inyo Clerk-Recorder online Self Services. Search all records, purchase and download Official Records, submit Marriage License form before in-person appointment, and more!