Short Term Rental Regulation

Short-term Rental of Residential Property

Short-term rental of residential property – means the rental of a residentially zoned property for 30-days or less.

If you have questions or concerns about potential issues regarding specific Short Term Rentals, please contact the Inyo County Planning Department 760-878-0263

If you wish to file a Zoning Violation Compliant, please find the form under Code Enforcement on the Planning Department's main page. Fill it out and return to the Inyo County Planning Department. Processing a Zoning Violation requires a written complaint form. Staff cannot act on a potential violation without it. Please note: remedying a violation can be a long process.

Due to the proliferation of Short Term Rentals in the County, through on-line hosts, such as Air B&B, etc., the Board of Supervisors requested that Planning Department staff evaluate the use and potentially develop regulations addressing it. After a public outreach process and several workshops with the Inyo County Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, a Short-term Rental Ordinance was adopted in February 2018.

February 11, 2020 The Board of Supervisor Updated the Short-term Rental Ordinance.

How to apply

To operate a hosted or non-hosted short-term rental you will need to apply to the Planning Department. You can use the main application form, which you can access at the "Applications Download" link on the Planning Department Main Page. You will also need to register with the Inyo County Treasurer Tax Collector to collect and pay Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT), this will be required as part of your application materials. If you have questions regarding the TOT please contact the Treasurer Tax Collector's office at: 760-878-0312.

If you wish to apply for a Hosted Short-Term Rental

Transient Occupancy Operator Registration Form

Please contact the Planning Department if you have questions about short-term rental applications or would like to be on a contact list for future meetings and workshops at or by phone at (760) 878-0263