Apply for Public Assistance

Aging and Social Services administers various federal, state, and local government programs designed to provide temporary cash aid, food assistance, and health insurance for eligible low-income Inyo County residents.

Residents can apply by: In-person, mail, fax, or online.                             

For more information, click on any of the links below or contact either of our offices.

Bishop Office: 1360 N. Main St., (760) 872-1394 open Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm

Fax: (760) 872-4950

Lone Pine Office: 310 N. Jackson St., (760) 876-5545 open Monday-Friday 8:00-12:00pm and 1:00pm-5:00pm

Fax: (760) 876-5127

Cal Fresh fruit logo


CalFresh is also known as the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). CalFresh is a program for low-income families and individuals that meet certain income guidelines. CalFresh benefits help supplement your food budget and allow families and individuals to buy nutritious food. 

CalFresh benefits are accessed by using an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. An EBT card is used the same way you would use a debit or ATM card. Eligibility and the amount of CalFresh benefits issued depend on your household size, income and certain living expenses.

CalFresh Food Benefits can now be Used Online to Purchase Groceries at Select Retailers ENGLISH  |  SPANISH

If you do not have all the information to complete the application, just complete what you can. You may leave an incomplete application with just your name, address, and signature. An Eligibility Worker can assist you in finishing the application.

It can take up to 30 days to process your CalFresh application. You may be able to get benefits within three calendar days if you meet Expedited Services. You application will be reviewed to see if it meets the criteria to be processed within three calendar days. If you think you may meet the criteria to have your application processed within three days, please ask an Eligibility Worker. 

Methods to Apply:

  •  Apply Online: or
  • You may request an application in person, by phone, by fax, by mail, or at the California Department of Social Services - CalFresh Program website. Your application starts the day the county receives your signed application. You will receive an appointment by mail for an interview by phone or you may ask to complete your interview in person, or
  • Apply in person at your local Human Services office, especially if you need CalFresh benefits right away, or call the CalFresh Application Line at (661) 631-6062. Leave your name and address and the application form will be mailed to you with a return envelope.  Your application starts the day the county receives your signed application. You will receive an appointment by mail for an interview by phone or you may ask to complete your interview in person, (English | Spanish) .  For households where everyone applying is: At least 60 or older and/or disabled, Not getting any income from work, and Purchasing and preparing food together. (English | Spanish) or
  • You can fax the completed, signed application form to (760) 872-4950. Your application starts the day the county receives your signed application form.
  • Or by calling the local Employment & Eligibility Office at (760) 872-1394

County Office Hours:
Bishop- Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Lone Pine- Monday through Friday, 8:00 am-12:00pm and 1:00pm - 5:00 pm
(Holiday hours varies, please click here to view)

Family circle clipart


CalWORKs is designed to transition people from welfare to work. It provides temporary cash assistance to eligible families with minor children, to move families with children from dependency to self-sufficiency through employment.

California Department of Social Services Logo

General Assistance / General Relief

General Assistance/Relief provides temporary cash assistance for eligible county residents who have no other means of support. Any aid received must be repaid to the county. Completed hours of required Job Training may count toward repayment of the debt.

Medi-Cal Logo

Medi-Cal Program

Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid health care program. This program pays for a variety of medical services for children and adults with limited income and resources.

Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)

CAPI is a program that provides cash assistance to aged, blind or disabled non-citizens who have been denied Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payment (SSI/SSP) solely due to their immigration status. The program provides monthly cash assistance to help pay for living expenses such as rent and utilities

To be eligible for CAPI you must:

  1. Be ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to immigration status,
  2. Be 65 years old or older, blind, or disabled,
  3. Be a resident of California,
  4. Meet certain income and resource requirements, and
  5. Be a non-citizen and meet the immigration status criteria (See Manual of Policies and Procedures (MPP) Section 49.020 “Immigration Status”)

You may apply by completing an application (SOC 814) in person, by phone, email, fax, or mail at your county social services agency. If you wish to find out more about CAPI, please contact your county social services agency.

In addition to English, the CAPI application (SOC 814) is also available in the following languages: Spanish, Armenian and Chinese.

Trafficking and Crime Victim Assistance Program (TCVAP)

Trafficking and Crime Victims Assistance Program (TCVAP) provides State-funded assistance to noncitizen victims of human trafficking and to noncitizen victims of domestic violence and other serious crimes who are not eligible to RCA or CalWORKs. TCVAP is available to holders of a nonimmigrant T-Visa or U-Visa. 

TCVAP may provide:

  • Cash Assistance 
  • Food Benefits 
  • Employment Services 
  • Other Services 

The TCVAP is a state-funded program and is administered by the Refugee Programs Bureau (RPB).

For more information see the Human Trafficking & Crime Victims Assistance Programs Fact Sheet. 

Applying for TCVAP

You may apply for TCVAP electronically at (select cash aid) or by completing a paper application and submitting the application

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)

The Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program provides cash assistance, Medi-Cal, and CalFresh to refugees. RCA is available for up to 12 months from date of admission to the U.S. in qualifying status, date of final grant of asylum or date of certification by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) as Victim of Trafficking.

Who is Considered a Refugee?

The following U.S. Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) classifications are all considered refugees for the purpose of RCA:

  • Refugees
  • Asylees
  • Cuban and Haitian Entrants
  • Amerasians from Vietnam
  • Certified Human Trafficking Victims
  • Victims of Human Trafficking, Domestic Violence, and Other Serious Crimes
  • Afghan and Iraqi Special Immigrant Visa holders

Applying for RCA

You may apply for RCA electronically at (select cash aid) or by completing a paper application and submitting the application:

Report Fraud

Report Fraud Logo

Inyo County Health & Human Services asks that anyone suspecting CalWORKs, Cal Fresh, General Assistance/Relief, or Medi-Cal fraud, waste, or abuse  call our Fraud line at 760-873-3305. You may report fraud 24 hours a day. The call is free and the caller may remain anonymous.

If you prefer to email your complaint to our office, click here.