Sheriff reports may only be released to authorized parties in accordance with State law. Reports involving certain types of crimes (e.g., juvenile cases and some sex-related crimes) cannot be released to anyone except the District Attorney or law enforcement agencies.

To determine if a report can be released to you, or for information about the status of your report, please contact the Records Department at 760-878-0336 during working hours (Monday- Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). To obtain a copy of a releasable Sheriff’s Office report (e.g., theft, property damage or loss, incidents reports, etc.) you must be authorized to receive the report:

You must be a named involved party to the case (not merely a witness) as follows:
* A victim
* A named party
* An involved driver, or
* An attorney, authorized agent, or insurance representative for one of the victims or named parties (except suspects).

Suspects or Investigative Leads may not get copies of reports from the Sheriff’s Office. Anyone named as a Suspect or Investigative Lead should call the Inyo County District Attorney’s Office at 760-878-0282 or 760-873-6657.

The processing and copying fee for all Sheriff’s reports is $10.00 per copy. 

Complete the "Request Report" below and email it to